So I’ve always been really confident in my looks and intelligence. I know what I want and don’t want, especially in relationships. I usually talk to multiple guys at once, then narrow it down to 2-3 guys that I’m serious about dating. My friends tell me that I’m being a player…I’m definitely not sleeping with any of them. Sometimes, I go no further than a simple peck on the cheek.
Most of the guys I date know that I’m dating other guys. I’m honest and open with them. If they don’t like it, they have the option of moving on. I feel like we are all adults and make our own decisions. I am open and honest about my actions.
Now here are the real questions:
1. Do you feel like I’m a player?
2. I have always wondered, does it mean that I’m leading these guys on by not picking one right off the bat? I usually talk to them for like a month..date the 2-3 guys for like another month or two then decide.
3. I’m dating 3 guys right now, there’s one guy that I’m particularly interested in, but I found out that he’s a semi-virgin…while that kind of excites me…I think he’s a bit too sensitive for me. And honestly, he wants me to be exclusive already…I still want to date around for a little while more. I like the attention. How should I tell him that he’s probably the one I’ll choose, but he needs to wait for a little while more?
4. I never find the best way of breaking it off with guys. I usually ignore them. Does that hurt them more than just telling them I don’t like them? Would you recommend any other method of telling them it’s over that’s less painful?
Thanks for your question.
We don’t see an issue here. You have every right to date around while you figure out what you really want. This is the time to explore, NOT when you’re already in a committed relationship or when you’re married. So all the power to you.
However, there’s a caveat here. This only holds true if you are honest about your intentions. No one likes to be led on. No one likes to be used. And no one likes to be toyed with. If you are doing any of these things, then our initial statement is nullified. (We just wanted to remind you of that fact.)
Don’t worry about what your friends say. Everyone goes about figuring out life and relationships in their own way. Some people only get involved in serious relationships. Then they break up and move on to the next one. Sure, that’s one way of figuring out what works. But your way is just as valid.
So let’s get to your specific questions:
1. No, we don’t see you as a player. Although you do seem a bit like a serial dater. Are you ultimately looking for the one? What are you looking for exactly? (This could be what your friends are reacting to.) You can also get some feedback from the guys you are dating and breaking up with. What do they say when you tell them you’re no longer interested? Do they feel led on? (This is important feedback to process.)
2. Just be honest. If you’re doing that they can make their own choices on whether they want to give it a go with you.
3. We feel a bit uneasy about this one. If we were in this guy’s shoes, we wouldn’t want to wait around while you dated—and who knows what—with other guys. We wouldn’t blame him if he bolted. We understand you like the attention of many guys, but also understand that many guys will not be interested in being part of your dating stable. And they won’t want to play the game for that long.
4. Always best to be straightforward. Never, use the ignore tactic. Guys hate that. Actually, everyone hates that, and honestly it’s a bit cowardly. (Sorry if that was harsh, but it’s true.) Just be direct and do it fast if you’re going to do it. There’s nothing worse than a slow death.
Lily, you seem like you care about people, and care about what they think. And we understand you’re trying to figure this all out. However, what you really need to think about is: “What do I really want?” Because right now you seem a bit unsure what that is. And maybe this is also what your friends are reacting to. Are you looking for attention? Are you leading guys on to get that attention? Do you really want a serious relationship or do you want to just date and be free? Spend some time figuring that out, and then dating won’t seem as complicated.
Feel free to ask us a follow up question. Leave us a comment in the comments section.
All the best,
ps. Please let your friends know about us. Thanks!